This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Monday, December 12, 2011

more technique

I have a lot of trouble obscuring elements in my drawings, and just draw-through in general, so I decided to try this new method of construction :

1) Loose underdrawing comprised of several multicolored, overlapping groups. I find I'm less distracted by the stuff behind when drawing in a different color, and can just focus on whatever new color I've picked. You'd think this would bug your eyes out, but it's not that bad. In fact, it makes you bolder when adding things (like hardons). I've just used really dramatic colors here so you can see the effect.
2) Final line composite of all groups (with underdrawing at low opacity underneath)
3) Paint that mutha!

3 comments:

Dado Almeida said...

It´s an interesting technique. I like when I see artists using the digital toolset in their unique manner - not just emulating the traditional.

For the sake of the experiment I would try this technique with more aggressive camera angle (more overlapping of parts).

This post lead me to a question I have regarding to drawing: How much of the shape do you have in mind before convert in a line/form in the paper? (I´m not talking about the Construction part, but the actual design and shape). I imagine good artist could simple "trace" their ideas projected in the blank of the paper. I´m always thinking about this when I draw, but I see myself working from chaos in most part of the time.

Paul Richards said...

It's a lot like sculpting. I don't know if any artist has it pre-visualized apart from "this is going to be wide/tall/edgy/soft." You lay something down, then add or subtract chunks from it.

Anthony Diecidue (dee-etch-eh-doo-eh) said...

Super cool. Love the colors. Great meeting you at Drink and Draw. Hope to see you and you awesome sketches there again this week.